Saturday, September 18, 2010

Confirmed Tornado Hits Brooklyn

This is my local park.  In 1989 the City Council renamed this park after Maria Hernandez, a community leader who gave her life in the fight to rid her block of drug dealers.  Before that it was called Bushwick Park.  Bushwick came from the Dutch that settled this area in 1660 and called it 'Boswijck' meaning 'heavily wooded area'. 

As I walked around and saw all these trees uprooted, I felt a little stab in my heart.    How ironic that this 'heavily wooded park' is no longer so.  Sure, it is the cycle of life and new trees will take its place.  But I can only imagine how old some of these trees are and for those who have grown their own plants with tender loving care from seed to seedling to maturity, the idea of loosing your plant to a freak of nature presents a little bit of anxiety.

Luckily, I managed to get all my containers inside. My tomato plant is a little stressed and my basil plant was as erect as the leaning tower of Pisa, but they'll bounce back.  I'm waiting to find out what the damage at Boswyck Farms is.  They have a hydroponic farm on top of a roof a few blocks from this park and I hope there crop is intact.

It just goes to show you, that no food supply is ever guaranteed.  And I've been toying with the idea to focus a little bit more on indoor growing lights.  Something to keep my plants safe from tornadoes in Brooklyn.  Sounds funny, but this is the new reality....

(BTW, this park has no bushes, anything that appears to be a bush in this park is a tree...)





















Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night (nor tornado) stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds

No comments:

Post a Comment